Heading to the islands? If Jamaica is your destination, take a walk on the beach then stop by any local restaurant and you just might find a Spicy Jerk Chicken Pasta dish on the menu. In Jamaica this dish is commonly known as Rasta Pasta and is served without meat. Rasta is short for Rastafarian and people who follow this religion and way of life do not eat meat. I’m pretty sure there would be other tweaks if a Rastafarian made this dish. However in Haute Mama’s Kitchen, we added chicken which is the favorite variation in our home.
This Spicy Jerk Chicken Pasta recipe is a meal that is not only filling, it is also quick to make (think one pot) and can easily be modified with seafood (shrimp, crab, lobster) or other forms of poultry. It is actually delicious when prepared in a vegetarian style too. Traditionally this dish is made with a mornay sauce however in this version you simply throw in some parmesan cheese, heavy cream and mix.
Pair this dish with a traditional Jamaican drink like Ting which is a grapefruit flavored soda, ginger beer (it’s not actual beer) or a good old Red Stripe beer. This dish also pairs well with a variety of wines including Reisling, Pinot Grio or Shiraz. The dish is not to spicy but you can add more spice or less and if all else fails an ice cold glass of water keep things cool and breezy.
Walk on the caribbean side of life with this dish that is sure to please a crowd or anyone at your dinner table.
- 2 box Penne Pasta
- 1 lb of chicken breast or chicken tenders
- 1 pack of frozen mixed veggies (corn, carrots, peas, green beans)
- 1 container of grated Parmesan cheese
- 1-2 Qt of heavy cream
- 3-4 tablespoons of mild jerk seasoning*
- 2 tbsp BBQ sauce
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Boil pasta as per package directions.
- Cut chicken breast into cubes.
- Heat vegetable oil, add chicken and cook for 15 minutes or until almost done.
- Add jerk seasoning, BBQ sauce and frozen veggies. Cook for another 10 minutes.
- In large pan combine drained pasta & jerk chicken mix.
- Add 3/4 Parmesan cheese and 1.5 qt of heavy cream.
- Mix well. Adjust cheese and heavy cream.
- Serve immediately.
- *For the best results use mild jerk seasoning from the jar. It is a wet jerk mix.